This page will document builds . I will post them as they come up. I have a 3 builds currently. A DCP Models DVIII, a Easy Built Models DGA-9, and a Easy Built Gremlin sailplane.
Coming up is Volare products kits and a Brenda 88 from Keith.
Here are some pictures of the builds I mentioned.
And my nearly completed 45 inch span Wakefield.
This was always one of my favorite WWI planes. Just something about it. When I first visited the DCP Models website and saw all the WWI kits Dave had there I immediately looked for the DVIII.
I wrote to Dave Cowell and asked if he could make me up a kit. He got right back to me and said yes. 4 days later I got the kit and I couldn’t wait to dig my hands into the build. It has a 16 inch wing span. Good for indoor and on a calm day, outdoors.
Here are some pictures in order of the build. Here’s day one.
And day two.
And day three
More to come. Waiting on tissue and there’s those stiff paper covering on the top deck and sides I have yet to do.
Lots more done on this plane. Next up final sanding and shaping before I can cover it.
Getting started on the paint job and weathering.
A little mass building going on at the studio as building 4 models at the same time proceeds. The Wanderer has been added to the mix and has taken front and center. This is being done because I need a good solid free flight plane to get my feet wet with. A solid flying platform for learning to trimming, balancing, trust angle effects, winding, rubber motor building and more.
In addition to that we are creating a high end professional video that takes you through all the steps of building the Wander all the way up to the first flights. This is being done in a several part series.
The upstairs portion of our 2000 sq ft studio as been taken over with model building. Mike Lemos is building a Guillows P-51 with us at the studio thus the 4th model build.
2-28-19 Volare Products Wanderer
This kit is amazing and fast to build. This is going to be my everyday flyer and learning plane. The kit is a joy to build. Here’s some progress pictures. This build is being covered in a several part series from laying up the first parts to the first flight. Second part goes up on the video page this weekend.
She’s all framed up and ready for final sanding.
2-9-19 DVIII update
So the DCP models DVIII 16 inch span model is getting there. Almost done except for more painted on markings.
What I did is to make stencils, inside and outside white first and then the black for the crosses. Worked well took some trial and error. I used an airbrush to paint.
I got the wing glued on and the tails, She’s squared up and true and I even got a test glide in the studio bay area which is quite large.
I took a run and a bit of a lunch and too my surprise she got ahead of me and glides nice and level. I had to run fast and catch up with it before it struck a wall. So she flies.
Without rubber 19 grams.
Without rubber George Bredehoft the CG is perfect. go figure. And that’s with the temporary plastic prop. Not the balsa Superior prop
Lots more work done on the DVIII. She has had a test glide and did very well. Balance is good no nose weight was added. 19 grams without rubber and it’s Superior balsa prop. Looking forward to good weather to test fly soon.
Wanderer is coming along. Painting and shaping the Superior prop is next. Great built.
2-19-19 Wanderer painted
Wanderer update 4-5-19
Thanks to George Bredehoft who has worked tirelessly with me over emails instructing me how to do things and Bernard Guest and his instructional video on how to braid a motor I managed after several tries to get a 40 inch 12 strand braided motor. In fact I made two. Second one took about 15 minutes or so after doing the first and grasping the process.
Then I was able to install the motor using Volare Products bobbins and stuffer stick 3D printed ends. They were a joy to use and I highly recommend them. I bought all 3 sizes and bobbins.
George also guided me on install the Superior props freewheel clutch which in the end works like a charm.
I smartly started a hard copy folder of all my emails with George and his very well written instructions to question I asked him. I also have in the folder everything from topics about torque meters to winding stooges.
George also recommended I keep a log book with notes for every plane. I did that too.
At the end of the day the wind calmed down enough I was able to test glide the plane on the front lawn in front of my studio.
Being that the Wanderer is a straight wing I assumed 33 percent from the LE for the CG. Wrong! It nosed dived right away. I moved the wing back took out the 3 grams of clay and tried again now at 65 %. To my shock she glided just fine and landed well. Then the wind picked up.
Tomorrow I’ll take her to the field when the winds are calm and give her more trimming and perhaps 300 turns to see what happens. More than that isn’t a good idea as I still have the DT to install. 😉
BTW the torque meters work great!