Cub Update

It’s starting to look like a Cub. I installed the dummy engines made from a series of laser cut balsa parts that really look good. The hoods over the engine cyclinders are just bond paper. Exhaust headers are wire. The great thing about this kit is they just about thought of everything. There are holes for the dummy engines that fit the square stock they are built over exactly. There are also holes for the exhaust to fit back into the fuse. I would never hesitate to build a Herr-Sig kit, they are marvels of engineering and well thought out builds.

I did manage to put the lightning bolts on upside down. They do lift up again so I may correct them if they don’t damage the paint. Or I can just leave them as is because if I don’t point it out many won’t catch it except the experts who will have a good laugh.

This kit converts pretty well to RC. But I did have to cut and add wood to make the scale ailerons and tails. I added rubber wheels to replace the balsa wheels provide as I did the tail wheel. I had to make a motor mount fire wall and a vacuum form cowl I made from there provided solid balsa version which made the perfect buck to vacuum form over.

I still have more to do next week but its little stuff like adding the side windows, overhead window and little cosmetic details. But she’s nearly done.

I did add dihedral. I know the real Cub didn’t have much if any at all but the wing roots both at the fuse and the wing were slightly angled for the Free Flight model. It wasn’t much so I left it. The plane as a result will be more than stable enough at this small size of a 36 inch span.

Full up weight so far is 7 oz. Well under the 1/2 pound FAA laws for RC airplanes…oops! I meant drone. That’s right the FAA only recognizes model airplanes as drones. Tell me they aren’t confused! It’s like that scene in Star Trek where Picard says, “I see three lights!”. Being under a half a pound this plane is exempt from needing FAA numbers on the plane and needing a remote ID unit which is their word for a transponder. They are required now.

Here’s a few pictures of her as she sits now.

It won’t be long until I’m flying this plane!

More Work on the J-3

This build is taking me longer than I would have thought. Converting Free Flight to RC can always being challenging to say the least. The fuse had been doped, tails too and installed. Over the last few days in my spare time I finished the wings and covered them with tissue provided in the Sig kit. It’s very nice tissue and most likely it’s Esaki. It’s just too good to be anything else. It shrinks well and it’s strong.

Getting the wing struts to mount was easy just using screws into light ply plates. I used the supplied hard balsa struts provided in the kit. My thinking is if I do have a rough landing or crash they will break rather than rip out the fuselage sides or wing. The two wing panels are press fit and can be removed. With the struts on they can fly away and are very strong.

Today I dope the wings and start making the bird yellow. Oh and I’ll build the dummy engines.

Covering the J-3

I got the entire fuse covered now. I have all the hatches in to access the servos, battery, ESC, and RX. I’m moving on to the tails next and wing. Wing fairings are in using paper as well as the hood cowling. Tail wheel is fixed and not connected to the rudder. This will limit possible damage. Since I’m flying from a grass field, and this plane will take off in less than a foot, I saw no need to make the tail wheel steerable.

Herr Engineering J-3 Cub update

This is a pretty slow build for me. So much work to do at the studio always only allows me an hour or so a day at best. I started covering yesterday using the supplied tissue. The kit gives you an abundant amount. It will of course eventually be doped and painted Cub yellow. Nice to finally see some covering on the plane it has a lovely scale shape to it.

Herr J-3 RC conversion update

Sometimes it seems like a build can take forever. With my busy schedule at the studio it can. I did manage over the last few days with and hour here and an hour there get all the gear and electronics installed and operating. Ailerons, elevator, rudder, motor, ESC, and RX.

I have two micro Hitec servos in the wing and two digital micros in the fuse I had on hand. Every thing moves smoothly with no issues. Plenty of power from the Remfire 250 and 7 inch prop.

Next week at long last I can start covering. I did make my own vacuum formed cowl using the kits wood block I hand shaped for the free flight version.

This plane should be around 1/2 pound I hope. So far so good. If it does come in at 8 oz. I’m exempt from the FAA’s laws for a transponder and shrouded prop. I can’t imagine putting a shroud around a 7 inch prop not to mention how ridiculous it would look on a scale J-3.

Here’s a few pictures of this 36 inch plane in progress.

The latest-lets build a BAT

Here’s our latest studio weekly video:

I have started the frame up of a B.A.T. mono plane. This is a dimer kit made by Volare Products. The best place I know to purchase many of your Free Flight needs. https://volareproducts.com/wordpress/ I frequent both Volare and Peck Polymers site for kits and supplies.

Here’s some pictures of the build so far. It took about 3 days to frame up. Super well made laser cut kit. These have been known to fly for over 2 minutes plus and are good contest planes.